יום שלישי, 4 בדצמבר 2012

Moroccan Carrot Salad

In the early 80’s my parents were draggin my all over the places to weddings and other family celebrations. They were never really happy about going to them but it was a social obligation so we all went, during those times it was common to have this event in one of the big banquet halls of the day, they were chizzy and the food was usually not amazing but as a small kid eating a different kind of cuisine like Arab/Moroccan food was an exciting experience after my grandmother's eastern european food the I loved but different spices and tastes were fun.

The meals at those places usually was a table with Mezze at the beginning, the Mezze usually included an assortment of salads and spreads and some bread to dip, one of my favorite salads of that time was the Moroccan carrot salad, It was tangy and spicy and I loves carrots.






I have tried to recreate this salad from my tase memory of those times and other places that I had this salad, usually falafel stands and some blue collar restaurants. It requires the use of Harissa, which is hard to find over here so I usually use Sambal sauce, its more readily available and
it got some got taste to it.

Ingredients


  • 2 pounds of carrots
  • 1 bunch of parsley chopped
  • 5 Tbs of olive oil
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/2 Tsp Kosher salt
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 Tsp Ground cumin
  • 4 Tbsp Sambal
  • 1 Crushed clove of garlic





Peroration

Peel the carrots and trim the ends place them in a saute pan big enough to fit





Put them all cover with water and bring to a boil, cook on medium heat until tender but still maintaining some Rogers so they won't crumble. Drain carrots and let them cool down so you can Handle them.






Meanwhile combine all other incarnations in a big bowl, finely mince the the parsley and add it to the souse.




Slice the carrots lengthwise to 1/4 inch slices and combine the salad.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה